Skip to main content

Can I get my refund back from my ex when the dept of revenue overpaid her?

Saint Augustine, FL |

I owed my ex $1300 from my taxes for child support, my total amount of tax refund before this came out was $4798. The dept of revenue gave her my full refund. Which is not right since I did not owe that amount. Is there anything I can do about this? If so, what can I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I am assuming that you're talking about the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) which is the federal government, and not the Department of Revenue (DOR) which is for the State of Florida. In any event, I would start by calling the IRS and requesting an Account Transcript and written documentation of any levy they received. Odds are that the levy that they show was in excess of the $4,798.00, but you'd have to get the paperwork to find out for sure. If they in fact did not send the right amount, then they should correct it for you without having to go outside the IRS. Their number is 800-829-1040 for individual tax payers. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer