Skip to main content

Can i get my record cleared

Atlanta, GA |

I pleaded no contest to a simple assault and a trust passing charge in 2004 in pittsburgh , it was a fight I had with an ex. Its years later and i still cant get a job in my field which is nursing. i have been working chef in atlanta and hate it. i need to get back into nursing but last time i tryed could not get back in cause of my record. Now that its 2010 will it still show up on my record? Is pleading no contest a convention ? i served no jail time and completed my probation. Can i get my record expunged , if so do i have to move back to PA to get it done?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You should hire a PA attorney to handle this for you without moving back. Each state is different about how to clear up criminal records. If you'd been convicted in GA, or plead no contest in GA, you would not be able to expunge your record. It's worth the money to find out if PA is different. You should also contact professional nursing associations and licensing agencies to find out what exactly you need to do in order to keep your nursing license for work in GA. If your professional license is intact and valid, you may want to get certified copies of police reports and court records from PA to show potential employers that this was a domestic situation, not a work situation. Understand that major employers may not be able to offer you work because workplace insurance companies will not cover the employer who hires someone with a criminal background.


I would add one other suggestion to Ms. Towne's excellent advice. I can't tell whether the charges you plead to in PA are misd. or felony, but if they are misd. you may want to consult with an employment attorney. I don't practice in that field but I seem to remember that there are restrictions on the type of criminal background information that employers can request. A medical/nursing recruiter may also be able to help you identify what information about that no contest plea would help in convincing a potential employer to look beyond the mere fact that you entered a plea.