Skip to main content

Can I get my medical bills paid for if I was injured in an accident but I do not have insurance?

Gresham, OR |

I was rear-ended by another driver. Unfortunatley, I did not have insurance at the time. The other drivers insurance company has already offered me an amount to pay for the damage to my vehicle. However, I was injured in the accident and I cannot file a PIP claim on my insurance since it was not in force at the time of the accident. Will my medical bills be paid by the other drivers insurance company?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


I'm copy/pasting this from another question I answered (

In Oregon, the law says that if you are injured in a car accident, but don't have insurance, you can recover economic damages (like medical costs and lost wages) but you are not eligible to receive non-economic damages (like pain and suffering). If you were injured, consider contacting an Oregon personal injury attorney, but be aware that since you were breaking the law (insurance is required) you may have a harder time finding an attorney unless your injuries are serious. o


I agree with the comments of Mr. DuBois. There are lots of young and new lawyers in the community that may be willing to take you case if the damages are small.


Call a local personal injury lawyer in your State. Different States have different rules pertaining to No-fault benefits when not insured. Be sure you are getting the information from a lawyer in your State.

You should consult an attorney in your State at once. Visit our webpage at


Mr. DuBois is on point here. It is worth speaking with an attorney to get your medical bills covered, particularly if they are substantial. Again, it may be difficult finding an attorney due to the "non-economic cap" placed upon your damages.

This comment is made as general information and is in no way to be considered legal advice. Attorney's making such comments have no information beyond the information provided in the question presented. Additional information is necessary before an attorney can give specific advice. Please seek legal counsel.


I agree with the other answers. Please also consider whether you can qualify for pain and suffering based on the exceptions to the general rule of "no recovery if driving uninsured."

Todd A Taylor

Todd A Taylor


ORS 31.715 sections 5 and 6 are possible exceptions. This wont force pip coverage but might enable you to get non-economic damages in addition to economic damages like your medical bills.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer