Skip to main content

Can I get my license back with out getting an interlock if I just wait long enough?

Denver, CO |

I got a dwai and a dui back in 2011. I lost my car so I didnt need a license so I just left it alone, I did do all the classes and complete probation, now I want to know if there is a time frame where I can just get my license back or not matter how much time passes am I going to have to get an interlock?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Assuming this is a first offense DUI in Colorado, then you license was most likely be suspended for 9 months; but you would be eligible for a restricted license after 30 days. If you have served the suspended time (9 months) you may now apply for a license. You may be required to install an interlock devise for up to two years after the suspension period (depending on the facts of your case). If you do not own and vehicle, or have one that you use (a family members), you may receive your license by providing a sworn statement that you do not drive nor do you own a car.


You need to file a DMV Form 2056 - Affidavit of Non-Ownership indicating that you do not own a motor vehicle.

Maintain this status for the duration of your suspension.

If you do not take this step, you will have to install an interlock whenever you purchase a car...even if its 20 years from now.

No answer here should be considered to form an attorney-client relationship. You should consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction so that a full evaluation of the facts of your case can be conducted.


If you move out of state, you can get a clearance letter after 9 months. You would not be able to drive in Colorado for two years after that.


Since you did not provide enough information for anyone to fully answer your question, you should call the DMV Driver Reinstatement line and verify your reinstatement requirements. if interlock is required because you have been tagged a PDD (persistent drunk driver) as required under the statute, then you will either need to reinstate with interlock or submit the affidavit of non-ownership to start getting credit off the 2 year interlock requirement.

The Orr Law Firm, L.L.C - 303-818-2448 - Is Colorado's Premier DUI and Criminal Traffic Defense Law Firm. Rhidian Orr is the senior partner and owner of the firm and focuses his practice exclusively to DUI and criminal traffic matters in the state of Colorado. His decision to answer your questions does not constitute an attorney/client relationship. The Orr Law Firm offers FREE Consultations and we encourage that you contact his firm to discuss your case in more detail.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer