Skip to main content

Can i get my gun rights back following a domestic violence conviction

Sequim, WA |

in 2003 i was convicted of DV i knew i couldn't posess firearms while the protection order was in effect. i recently tried to purchase a hunting rifle and was denied after talking with the FBI's nics i was informed my firearm ban was permanent is there anything i can do to have this removed

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


In order to answer your question I would need additional information. Specifically, what is the crime that you were charged with in 2003?

Washington statute does allow for restoration of gun rights, but certain criteria must be met. The conviction of certain crimes like murder, robbery, kidnapping, assault, some drug related crimes will prevent you from petitioning the court for your gun rights back.

If you have been convicted of a crime which does allow you to petition the court, you must meet additional time requirements. Again, depending on the nature of the crime convicted, you will have to have a certain number of consecutive years without convictions.

This process can be very frustrating and confusing. I suggest that you speak with an experienced attorney who can review your specific circumstances.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer