Skip to main content

Can i get my green card through marriage if my wife is on warfare food stamp and housing and i don't work

Jamaica, NY |

my dear wife who i really loves what to help me file for petition so i could get a green card but right now we would like to know if it is possible i would get my green card without problem because she has a food stamp and housing, she already has a daughter not for me, and i am an F1 student out of status who don't work
Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Yes. But you will have two problems. First, you need a joint sponsor who will contractually obligate themselves to repay the US government if you (not your spouse) uses government "means tested" benefits. Second, assuming you and your wife have very few (no?) assets held jointly, you will need to be more creative and much better prepared to show that you have a bona fide marriage.

You should always consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make certain that the advice you received is appropriate for your particular immigration case.


Yes, but you will need a co-sponsor.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.


I agree with my colleagues .... you need a co-sponsor for the I-864.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer