Skip to main content

Can i get my citizenship if I m in public housing and food stamps and i dont have a job?

Morganton, NC |

i married an american and we stayed married for 5 years, 4 of them in the usa, i got a permanent green card after 2 years of conditional residence, i got separated 7 months ago.I had a baby with him. He is not paying alimony since he hit me and i cheated on him.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3



Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2

J Thomas Smith Ph.D.

J Thomas Smith Ph.D.


You can apply after 3 years or 5 years, if separated.


The fact you have food stamps would qualify you for the I-912 fee waiver to cover the cost of citizenship. Good luck.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.


I agree as long as you have not been convicted of a crime, somehow falsely claimed that you were a U. S. Citizen, served on a jury, or committed some sort of act that may disqualify you from naturalization. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer