Skip to main content

Can I get my children back after adoption?

Kissimmee, FL |

In 2008 I lost custody of my 6 month old twin boys. At the time, I was mixed up with drugs (marijuana only). I have been clean since May 2008, almost 5 years now. After a year of fighting for my kids in court, I became pregnant with my daughter. I reluctantly signed away my parental rights because in the state of Florida if the courts terminate your rights, they don't need a reason or accusation of abuse or neglect to remove any other children you have afterwards, atleast that's what my lawyer told me. Since then my children have been adopted by my parents and they're not any better off there. There's a lot of wrecklessness and endangerment to the children. I need help!I want my kids back! Someone please email me, I have very limited space here to give ALL the details of both situations.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3



My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship. I apologize for mispelling< as I am a lousy typist, My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth. Further regarding courts in other states my opinions are largely based on logic and what I think is the modern trend which is to consider the needs of the child.


Once the adoption becomes final you lose all rights to the children. Since they are with your parents, my suggestion is to stay actively involved in their lives (you will need your parents' consent to do this); that is the best you can hope for.

This information is provided as a public service to provide a general answer and should not be relied upon as legal advice.


In Florida, after you sign a consent to adoption, it is irrevocable upon execution for an infant under 6 mo and there is only a 3 day revocation period for a child over 6 months. Based on your facts, it seems you cannot revoke the consent or adoptions, but you could perhaps adopt your children back if your parents were in agreement and if it was in the children's best interest. However, you would need to get a homestudy done since the law now treats you as stranger to the children.You would need to hire an adoption atty or contact an adoption agency.
Nicole W. Moore, Esq.
Board Certified Adoption Attorney

Jeanne T. Tate, P.A.
1604 South Bumby Avenue
Orlando, Florida 32806
(407) 898-8015 ext. 5651
(407) 898-8215 Facsimile

Disclaimer I am not licensed in any other state than FL. The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements. This site presents general information and is not intended as legal advice. Accessing this page, and any interior pages, is a request for information. That notwithstanding, nothing on these pages, or on any pages linked to these pages, shall be construed as legal advice, nor shall anything on these pages by itself operate to create an attorney/client relationship. An attorney/client relationship cannot be created before the firm has accepted the representation. Acceptance cannot occur before the firm engages you with services and runs a conflict check and your have been notified that you are a client of the law office by email or other written means. Please do not make legal decisions without first having a direct one on one consultation with a Florida Attorney or an Attorney in your area that knows the relevant facts of your case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer