Can I get my child custody case transferred from Cook to Lake County?

Waukegan, IL |

Two years ago, I filed for custody of my son, in Cook County (where we resided at the time). Last year, I was awarded temporary custody; final custody determination has not yet been made. My son and I moved to Lake County, and have now lived here for over a year; the child's father currently resides in another state. Will the Cook County Circuit Court agree to transfer jurisdiction to Lake County, if I file a motion requesting this?

(from my direct comment to Ms. Goldstein's answer) I am certain the Respondent will object to the change (even though he has not resided in the State of IL for several years...), simply because his attorney's practice is literally walking distance from the Daily Center -- is inconvenience to his attorney considered a valid objection?

If your motion is prepared and brought properly, you most likely will be able to have your case transferred to Lake County.

Thank you for taking time to reply. In my view, it only makes sense that, if no parties reside in Cook County, and the Petitioner + the minor children reside in Lake County, the Court would allow a venue change to Lake County - but I also know Cook County has its peculiarities... Also, I am certain the Respondent will object to the change (even though he has not resided in the State of IL for several years...), simply because his attorney's practice is literally walking distance from the Daily Center -- will the Judge give this any weight in her decision?

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Hopefully not.

you need not go to court in cook county to transfer the case. file a petition to enroll the case in lake county in the lake county court. we do it frequently.

i am in libertyville. call for an appointment. bring in all your court papers. thank you.

Gary L. Schlesinger

Gary L. Schlesinger

the location of the lawyer has nothing to do with where the case is to be heard. read the statute. 750 ilcs 5/512.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

gary (no caps) is correct. The proper way to handle this is to file to enroll the case in Lake County. Go see gary. He is an excellent attorney.

Wes Cowell

Wes Cowell

I respectfully disagree: She filed for custody two years ago. She was awarded TEMPORARY custody. The underlying modification petition remains pending. I don't think she can transfer a case away from a judge into a new circuit in the middle of a pending matter. That would be a great way to shop forums. If you have a pending matter and don't like a particular judge's ruling, just move to another county to get a new judge. Don't like that judge's rulings? No problem, just sign a new lease in a new county and you can have as many bites at that apple as you want. I think she's stuck with the Cook County judge until the pending petition is resolved one way or the other. Depending on other facts, I'd consider dismissing the pending petition and THEN refiling in Lake.

Gary L. Schlesinger

Gary L. Schlesinger

i think wes is correct. if she only has temp custody and the final order is not yet entered, the case stays where it is until concluded.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Good point!

Mr. Schlesinger, If I contact your firm, when is the best time to speak with you directly? If you prefer to answer this privately, please ask Avvo for my email address.

Gary L. Schlesinger

Gary L. Schlesinger

just call the office and request an appointment. bring in all your court papers.

The case cannot be transferred in the middle of custody proceedings. Afterwards you should be able to enroll in Lake County.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.