Skip to main content

Can I get married with a expired visa stamp on the passport, but a valid I-20?

Fort Wayne, IN |

I'm currently a F-1 visa student. F-1 visa stamp on my passport only valid for 1 year. And I haven't go back for 2 years. However, I do have a valid I-20 form, which will expire next year. I'm still going to school full time. Can I still get married in the U.S without a valid visa stamp on my passport?

I'm going to get married with a U.S citizen. And one of our county's marriage site say :
I must obtain a valid I.D. My passport is valid, but visa stamp on the passport is not valid. I'm not sure if they will consider me being here in the U.S as a valid stay?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

I agree with my collegue. You need to check with the State authorities for what they will accept to get the marriage license. Show then the I-20 and the passport together if they ask any questions and say the I-20 is your status document.

Once you get married you should contact an experienced immigration attorney in your state who can review your immigration documents. Congratulations and good luck.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.


You can get married as long as you meet the requirements for marriage in the state where you are getting married.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.