Skip to main content

Can I get married?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

I am originally from the Bahamas. Upon my mother moving us to the states (New York) she filed for citizenship & has since (somewhere in my preteen years) been granted citizenship. Immigration has since called me to be sworn in, but I got into a little trouble that caused me to miss that date. Now they are having trouble finding my name in their system but have my mothers. I've turned my life around, I have 2 kids from my current fiance, & we are ready to get the show on the road to forever. My passport is expired & for some reason the renewal was denied. I don't have a florida ID (lost it a long time ago & never needed it really) nor my ss card. I do know the number & have my BC. She is a US Citizen though. What do we need in order to get married? How long is the process from jail? Cost?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9

Best Answer

Discuss all of this with an immigration attorney. You may already be a citizen and unaware of it.

Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is akin to an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance -- Khurgel Immigration Law Firm -- Representing Clients in all 50 States and Worldwide / 4199 Campus Drive, Suite 550 / Irvine, CA 92612 / Office: (949) 509-6515 / Direct: (949) 535-6331 / Web: / Email: / Attorney Khurgel is a former USCIS and Department of State Embassy Officer.


Please see the attached link for information on Florida Marriage Licenses.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


You need to immediately have your family contact an immigration attorney to assist you. You have about four big issues that you have raised in this question that need answering. First, are you a permanent resident right now, an immigrant, or a citizen? You have a possibility of being a derivative, but the information you provided is vague. An attorney needs to determine this. Second, you talk about missing a date with immigration - for what? This is extremely important. Third, you indicate trouble, and later, jail, which makes me believe you have some sort of criminal issue. If you are not indeed a citizen, now we have possible removal issues. Finally, you ask about applications through a spouse - you may need this, but may not, and also may not be eligible if there are criminal issues.

You need to get to an attorney as soon as possible. Only that person can parse through your issues and give you a good idea of what to do.

William Quirk, Esq. Meehan & Quirk, LLC 354 State Street, Hackensack, New Jersey (201)968-0800 The answers to questions provided by Mr. Quirk are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. This information is for informational purposes only and does not form any relationship between the individual asking the question and the attorney. You should investigate and consider all possible outcomes with a skilled individual before making a final decision.


Is your fiance a US citizen? Are you currently in jail? I think you need to speak to an immigration lawyer before you do anything. Are you merely asking how to get married or are you concerned about your immigration status?



Yes, my fiance is a born & bred US citizen. I am also currently in jail due to having to pick up my son from daycare (emergency) & after telling me no action would be taken for violating community control, the po still violated me. I want to know if I can get married, & how to go about doing it.


Consult with an immigration attorney and provide information as to all arrests and convictions.


Contact city hall in Fla for instructions on what is required to get married, but typically you need a photo ID.
How long is the process from jail? --> don't understand? not sure what you are asking here.

Irene Vaisman, Esq. 11 Broadway, Suite 615 New York, NY 10004 (646) 253-0516 This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (646) 253-0516.


Attorney Bernal-Mora has given you an excellent answer and be reminded that when speaking to an Immigration Attorney, choose one that actually has EXPERIENCE, not one who simply puts the word behind his/her name. Ideally, you should speak to an attorney who regularly works with Family law and Immigration. Best of luck to you!

This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272


What you need in order to get married will depend on the rules of your local jurisdiction. Contact the local county Clerk of the Court for information on what you will need to obtain a marriage license. As to your immigration status, you may have automatically acquired citizenship through your mother when she naturalized, however a full review of the circumstances of her naturalization and your immigration history are necessary to make that determination. You would be well advised to meet with an immigration attorney. Attorney's fees will depend on a variety of factors, including the attorney's experience, education, the local market, etc.


First thing to do is file a USCIS FOIA and request that your entire immigration be sent to you on a pdf cd. You will be able to see what was done on your case, the receipt numbers for your petitions, and possibly whether your citizenship was ever granted under your mother's application.

In the event that you wife is a US citizen and you entered the country with a visa and have no criminal issues that would make you inadmissible, you qualify to apply for your green card though your wife.

Make sure to speak to an immigration attorney. Your case is more complicated than you think.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer