Skip to main content

Can I get into a trouble for using my husband's debit card?

Springfield, IL |

We are separated right now and most likely divorcing. We have been married for 7 years. I have not worked during our marriage and all of the money is in accounts with only his name on them. I have all of the accounts information for everything because I took care of all the bills. My question is, can I get into a trouble if I use this information to provide basic needs, fuel, food, necessities?

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce Court orders
Attorney answers 3


If you are continuing to pay marital bills as you have in the past, you should be fine. Please hire a lawyer ASAP. That debit card will probably be canceled soon and you will need a court order for contribution to expenses ans well as for temporary maintenance.


You should hire an attorney who will be there for you and know ALL the facts of your case and answer all your questions as the case proceeds. He obviously gave you the password to use it so you cannot get in trouble fr using your snow marital funds. However most lawyers representing him will tell him to change the password so you cannot use it. Until that happens go right ahead.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.


Based on the limited facts you have provided, you will not get "into trouble" if you spend the money on normal family expenses.