I cashed a check for a friend and after I looked at the receipt her name didn't match so I called my bank and reported it
"Can I get in trouble if I reported to my bank I think I might have cashed a stolen check?" The police may not believe that you were not in on the theft. So, you may end up with criminal law charges.
Your bank is going to want you to repay all the money from the stolen check.
So, if you have not used any of the money from that stolen check, you should not use any of that money. You will need to return all the money from the stolen check back to the bank.
You should not talk any further with the bank or law enforcement without your attorney.
You should review the specific facts with your attorney to find out your legal options.
Yes you can get into trouble.
The police will want to know why you cashed the check for your friend. You don't indicate why, and there may not be a good reason. Execise your right to remain silent, and consider strongly Mr. Thuyen's strategy to pay back the $$$ immediately. Then, at least, ther is less economic victimization.
The most important thing both of the other attorneys have told you is “don’t talk to the police (or bank) about this.” Demand an attorney and remain silent. Explaining helps about 1% of the time and hurts the other 99%. Not good odds.
NOT LEGAL ADVICE: All answers are intended to provide information about the law only. Nothing in this answer is intended to be, nor is it, legal advice. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP: This answer does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. If you want specific legal advice about your situation you must contact your attorney or hire an attorney to represent you.
Our Rating is calculated using information the lawyer has included on their profile in addition to the information we collect from state bar associations and other organizations that license legal professionals. Attorneys who claim their profiles and provide Avvo with more information tend to have a higher rating than those who do not.What determines Avvo Rating?Experience & background
Years licensed, work experience, educationLegal community recognition
Peer endorsements, associations, awardsLegal thought leadership
Publications, speaking engagementsDiscipline