Can I get in trouble for having a person with a warrant stay in my house?

Bloomington, IL |

I just want to know if I am legally in trouble for allowing the person to live with me.

Can you , yes. Harboring a fugitive is a felony. In other words, knowingly aiding a wanted person is a crime. It is not typical, though, to be prosecuted for that offense, at least in my experience. It can be a tough crime to prove. However, if this person is wanted for a serious crime, your certainly at a higher risk of getting arrested/charged.

If you want to help this person, he/she should be advised to deal with the warrant. Its not going to go away. Seek the advise of a criminal attorney who practices in the jurisdiction that issued the warrant.

The warrant isn't for a crime. It's for a probation violation. The violation is being out of state from where the probation was issued. Can I still be charged with a crime knowing about it??

Steven Haney

Steven Haney

yes. not likely though, but still possible. a warrant is still a warrant. does not matter if for probation violation versus new criminal offense.

Steven Haney

Steven Haney

While that is a violation, it is not the most serious of violations. It is only made worse by delay in dealing with it. This person only will make matters worse by ignoring it. Very stupid not to deal with it promptly.

Ok well thanks for the info n thank u for ur time. :)

Yes, and depending upon what he is wanted for, don't be surprised if you are charged should the police discover that you have been knowingly harboring him/her.