Can i get help please

Brooklyn, NY |

I have a medical malpractice case, my attorney said i had a strong case, now after my deposition he withdrew from the case, stating the other party wants to go to trial and its expensive ...what can i do please

Did your attorney make a motion in court? If so did you oppose the motion? Your lawyer cannot walk away from the case. He/she must obtain a court order. In any event, you should consult with a medical malpractice attorney and advise of the facts of your claim. Another attorney may prosecute the case from this point forward.

This answer is not intended as legal advice, nor as a substitute for legal advice received from an attorney during a consultation. Your rights and obligations may vary depending upon facts not disclosed in your question. Therefore, you should contact an attorney immediately so that your interests are properly protected.

I just got a letter stating he ask the court to withdrew.

Presumably, your attorney got cold feet based on his updated perception of the strength of liability or the damages involved. The retainer agreement doubtlessly states he may withdraw, but he should file a motion to do so unless you consent to discharge him. In the meantime, you should hustle to obtain another attorney to proceed. That may be difficult if, as most med mals are expensive to prosecute, the case is not strong and potentially profitable. Alternatively, on can retain such counsel on an hourly basis, but then that becomes very expensive and you must feel your case is strong and potentially finacially viable.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Get a new lawyer

AS indicated, unless you consented to the attorney withdrawing, he/she must make a motion to do so. However, you should not want an attorney who no longer wants you and try to get another one ASAP.

You should try to find another attorney as soon as possible, if your attorney is moving to be relieved as counsel it likely means he does not think he can win your case.

how do i find an attorney to hear my side, all the attorney ask about my previous attorney so i didnt lie i told them he ask to be withdrew. I never met my attorney until the day of my depositon. I was told its a firm and this attorney only met me this once. All I knew I went to the ER with a superficial thrombletitis and was admitted for 3 days, discharge with no meds and suffered a pulmonary embolism three days after. can someone ansawer I was told not only being missed diagnosed but I am here with injuries for life part of my lungs are damaged, plus heart complication due to the PE.

I am asking if a standard medical care for superficial phlebititis is no admission, just pain killers, why was i admmitted for 3;days with blood thinners and left the hospital without no prevention? why blood thinners or if there is a clot in which they did not found until the pulmonary embolism after i was discharged...please i need to at least get a chance with an attorney who is willing to review my case...send me the info and contact

The other attorneys explained to you that unless you consented to your attorney withdrawing, it can only be done by court order. Try to retain new counsel before your current attorney makes a request to the court to be relieved. Often, the reasons set forth in the court papers undermine your claims and are sometimes seen by the opposing counsel. It shouldn't happen, but I recently reviewed a case where this is exactly what did occur.

The responses provided to your questions are not legal advice, do not create any attorney client relationship, and are provided for informational purposes only.

In New York, your lawyer can only withdraw by motion on notice. His retainer may say he does not have an obligation to take the case to trial, but he still must seek leave of the court to withdraw. If I were you and he hasn't done this, I would advise him that as far as you are concerned, he is your lawyer until the court says otherwise. Most reasonable lawyers who can't go to trial retain trial counsel to complete the case. They don't withdraw. If a lawyer withdraws in this way, you should ask the court to set the fee at the end of the case by either quantum meruit or as a percentage of the total one third fee.

We are serious lawyers for the seriously injured. I am a co-author of WEITZ ON AUTOMOBILE LITIGATION: THE NO FAULT HANDBOOK. The opinions expressed in this answer are not legal advice. These opinions are thoughts based on New York practice. We have no attorney-client relationship. Conducting a conversation with me through the avvo comments section does not create an attorney-client relationship. Past results are not necessarily indicative of future performance.