Skip to main content

Can i get help from the person who is my sponsor in United States?

Union City, NJ |

I came to united states 3 years ago with my dad. My dad's second wife filed petition for us. Now they are divorced and i live with my dad. I go to school but my dad doesn't support me. Can i get any help form my dad's ex-wife on the basis that she sponsored me?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


No. She does not have to support you.
---------------------------------------- This email was sent by: Avvo, Inc. 1501 4th AveSuite 1900 Seattle, WA, 98101-1588, USA We respect your right to privacy - visit the following URL to view our policy. ( ) ----------------------------------------

Law Office of Luis A. Guerra (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.


I agree. Her only obligation on the sponsorship and affidavit of support is to the government.



An attorney-client relationship is not formed by my responses to questions on Avvo. My responses are not intended to be legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.


Although Under immigration laws she does not have to support you, the answer may be different under family law. It depends on the role she assumed as your step mother. It depends on your age and whether you are going to school full time. Your father is the main person who may be responsible to support you, however. I assume he is giving you room and board?