Skip to main content

Can I get full custody of my grandson, if I took care of him his first 7 years of living?

Houston, TX |

My son is newly engaged to a girl he has known for three months, she decided that his son (my grandson) needs to be with his father and her and has convinced him that we are too "old fashioned." My grandsons mother is a drug addict and my husband and I have been primary caretakers for him since he was 7 months old. My sons fiance's stepfather is a registered sex offender and she will bring him over to play/ be babysat by her parents on a daily basis. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? Am I allowed to have custody of him considering he is almost 8 years old and I have been taking care of him a majority of his life?

+ Read More

Filed under: Family law
Attorney answers 2


Yes - you can file a petition in suit affecting parent-child relationship. You should probably hire an attorney, as you are going against one of the presumptions in family law, that the parent (father) knows best... but on the facts stated, you have a decent chance at establishing yourself as a primary custodian, with the Father having visitation.

This answer is intended for informational and educational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice nor forming the attorney client relationship. This attorney is licensed in Texas.


I would be in the office of an experienced family law attorney tomorrow! The clock is ticking and you need legal representation now!

If you don't have an attorney call PATRICIA BUSHMAN at 713-807-9405. She takes payment plans. I rent space in her office so tell her that I sent you to her. She won't talk to you on the phone so just call her office & make an appointment immediately. She has lots of courtroom experience & her prices are very reasonable for her years of experience. I obviously think she is good or I would not rent space in her office.