Skip to main content

Can i get fired from my job due to being off work with an injury?

Oak Forest, IL |

i have been diagnosed with 5 bulging disks in my spine. this condition is causing severe pain & numbness in my left shoulder, arm & hand. i am an administrator for a small company that relies on me to do most all administrative functions. this requires that i sit at a desk & type on a computer for anywhere from 8 to 12 hours per day, monday thru friday & occasional saturdays. my doctor had ordered that i do not return to work until after i receive successful treatment for the bulging disks. i will be out of work for at least 2 weeks and have no vacation time remaining. i have had 2 different doctors tell me that they believe the spinal injury is work-related. my employer tells me that if it goes to workers comp, i won't be able to work there anymore. what can i do?

i have been employed with this company for 2.5 years. my employer also tells me that if my doctor determined this condition is work-related, my insurance carrier will automatically push the claim to worker's comp. my employer says if it does get pushed to worker's comp, i can't go back to work until it is settled & they made it clear to me that i should tell my doctor to say that it is not work related because worker's comp will say that it is a pre-existing condition & they won't pay out on a claim for me anyway. they told me that "nobody is going to believe 5 bulging disks were caused by typing. it's the easiest job in the world". they said it would be best for my doctor to release me to go back to work & state in writing that the injury is not work-related. if my doctor does this (which he has already stated that he will not) then i can come back to work.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If your doctor has diagnosed the problem to be work related, you should file a workers compensation claim. Your employer cannot terminate you for filing a workers compensation claim. Further, If you make false statements regarding the nature of the injury, you risk loosing any insurance coverage you may have. It would be best to discuss the details of your injury and your employment situation with an attorney as soon as possible.

Feel free to contact me at or via the link below if you have any questions.


If your employer is threatening you, you need to talk to an attorney. You should not allow them to intimidate you and discourage you from filing a claim. If you are injured at work you are entitled to certain benefits, including payment of all medical bills. You may also receive payment for lost wages if you have to take time off work due to your injury. I'd be happy to give you a free (and confidential) consultation. You can reach me at 1-800-517-1614. - Mike