Skip to main content

Can I get employed if I only have an unrestricted SSN & a foreign passport with form I-94 attached?The passport is expired.

Larkspur, CA |

I'm about to get a job but I only have my SSN and foreign expired passport with form I-94.
Im hoping that I can use this documents to get hired, but I wanna know if it's legally possible?
I had an EAD but it's expired as well, please let me know thank you.

I entered the US as an asylee and I read on the USCIS website that asylees are eligible to work without a EAD. I'm also able to adjust my status to been a resident but I haven't been able to because of financial problems.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I am assuming that you are out of status since you have an expired EAD and passport. If that is the case you cannot work legally, you need a valid EAD.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


Given the limited facts, it will be illegal for you to work without a valid EAD regardless of your unrestricted SS.


You do not seem to have permission to work in the U.S.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer