Skip to main content

Can I get Disorderly Conduct expunged from my record?

Quinton, VA |

I was wondering can I get this charge expunged? I was charged/convicted when I was a Senior in High school. Now I'm a senior in College and getting ready to hopefully get into the workplace. I was thinking would this charge on my record hurt my job prospects? And is there anyway to get it sealed/expunged or anything like that so that an employer cant see it when they do background checks? If I can how would I do that? Thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Here's a good resource to start:

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia


Unfortunately, except in narrow circumstances, Virginia does not expunge records.

Expungment for purposes of improving a job hunt is NOT one of the narrow grounds in the Commonwealth. See

I am sorry to report that you will be stuck with this on your record permanently. That said, the charge itself is not particularly damning, with a proper explanation it will not be something holding you back from almost any endeavor. I wish you all the best.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.



I clicked on your link and read the different grounds for expungment under halfway through Item "F" it says " However, if the petitioner has no prior criminal record and the arrest was for a misdemeanor violation, the petitioner shall be entitled, in the absence of good cause shown to the contrary by the Commonwealth, to expungement of the police and court records relating to the charge, and the court shall enter an order of expungement." Now is that any light of hope? Because I have nothing else under my criminal record. I also have been a positive member of society, for whatever that's worth. Would in your opinion petitioning be a waste of time/money?


Was the charge handled in juvenile court or adult court? By Virginia statute, juvenile courts destroy most records after five years on January 2 of each year (your case would qualify under "most records"). It sounds like you may be approaching that window. If the matter was in adult court, and you were convicted of the charge, there is nothing that can be done. The conviction is permanent forever.

Good luck.

Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated.

James Garrett
Garrett Law Group, PLC
(757) 422-4646 - 24 hour Service

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer