Skip to main content

Can I get disability being diagnosed with Neurocardiogenic Syncope?

Avondale, AZ |

When I was 15 years old I was diagnosed with Neurocardiogenic Syncope. I had to be put on homebound schooling because of this, I missed nights of college due to this and I have missed work because of this (I am a medical assistant). My Cardiologist told me that this is just something that I have to pretty much deal with until I grow out of it (around my 30's). At my current job, I am now on administrative leave and cannot return to work until I get a letter from my Cardiologist saying that it is ok for me to go back to work and that they don't need to call 911 everytime I pass out. Is this a medical condition that is eligible for disability?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Any medical condition that results in you being unable to do either your old job or any other job anywherein the United States can be a basis for getting disability benefits. SSA doers not care so much whatthe condition is, but how it limits you. If it still allows you to do other work, even if you cannot do your old job, then SSA will deny your claim.

The fact that you are young and have education certainly makes it harder to prove you cannot do any job anywhere. But, uhnless you apply, you have no way of knowing what will happen. Since SSA uses the date of application to figure out what months you will get paid, I suggest you file immediately. Otherwise, each month you wait means you risk losing a month of benefits.

You may want to talk to an attorney in your area so you can review the specific facts with counsel. You may contact your local city, county or state bar association to see if they have a lawyer referral program, or you may contact the National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives (NOSSCR) for the name and email address or telephone number of attorneys in your area. Most attorneys who do any amount of Social Security work are members of NOSSCR and provide a free initial consultation. In any event, no attorney may charge a fee for work on a social security claim until it has been approved by Social Security. The fee limit is a maximum of 25% of past due or back due benefits you are owed, and many lawyers charge less than the full 25%, and the money is not paid until your claim has been approved.

The telephone number for the lawyer referral service of NOSSCR is 1-800-431-2804. NOSSCR's website is

In addition, you can find a Board certified specialist in Social Security by contacting the National Board of Trial Advocacy. They evaluate lawyers (independently) in many types of claims and require extensive experience and testing before a lawyer is certified. They have a section specifically for Social Security: The National Board of Social Security Disability Advocacy, Divisions of the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification.

Their link is:

You may also contact NADR (National Association of Disability Representatives) – automated Telephone Referral System at 1-800-747-6131

I hope this information helps. Good luck to you!
Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Yours is a difficult case. However, if your employer is making significant accommodations for you and you can get them to verify that, you have a chance. It also matters how much you are able to make even with your condition. I recommend speaking with a social security disability attorney and get some advice specific to the facts of your case.

Actual legal advice can only be provided by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area of law regarding your question. The information provided is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice.


I agree with Mr. Farrell's detailed answer and encourage you to contact a local attorney for a free consultation. When you sit down and discuss all the details of diagnosis, treatment, symptoms, frequency, etc. the consulting attorney will be able to advise you as to whether or not you should file for disability at this point. It is harder to get approved when you are younger, but not impossible. You will need solid medical evidence from treating physicians for your best chance. I would also encourage you to ask him/her what you should do to continue documenting your case even if you decide not to file at this time, as documentation is very important for disability cases. Good luck to you.

Disclaimer: This answer sets up no attorney/client relationship. The information provided here is done so as general information only and is not intended as legal advice.

Kristina Street Hatcher

Kristina Street Hatcher


If this answer was helpful, please mark it as such. Thanks!