Skip to main content

Can I get an arrest warrant/go to jail if I fail to pay my DUI fines?

Tracy, CA |

It's been almost a year since I made my last payment to the court. So can the courts get an arrest warrant for failure to make payments? and would I get sent to jail? for about how long?

and would the fines double for failure of payment? Would I have to get a lawyer, if I want to make the full payment to the court? or can I just call them myself telling them I want to make the full payment?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Just go back to court with some money and ask to be reinstated. Times are tough and you violated terms of probation, but nothing serious. Use the public defender

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.


I agree with the previous answer. I would only add a yes to your question. If you fail to pay the court ordered DU I fines you could be found in violation of your probation and sent to jail. Go to court, see the public defender and they will help you explain to the court.


The answer is yes. You can be remanded to jail for failing to pay fines that were part of your agreement to avoid jail by being placed on probation.

However, it is unlikely to be send to jail for this. Hire an attorney to appear to have the bench warrant lifted and have you reinstated on probation. Have the attorney go to court with a money order or check with a payment to the court for the fees owed, preferably the full amount outstanding. This takes place quite often.

Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer