Skip to main content

Can I get an annulment after 6 months of marriage because of reconcilable differences?

Tacoma, WA |

Lack of respect for one another, constant lying, and not on the same page with marriage.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


A declaration of invalidity (WA's equivalent to an annulment) is only available in cases where the marriage was never legitimate or should not have been allowed in the first place, for instance if one of the parties was already married to someone else, or couldn't consent due to minor age or incapacity. If you entered the marriage properly but find that it is now "irretrievably broken" (the WA buzzwords that must be alleged by either spouse), you need to get a dissolution (which is what WA calls a divorce). The good news is that without kids or property to divide, dissolution can be quite simple--it is actually easier than a declaration of invalidity, because you do not have to prove anything about the marriage, you can simply agree that it's over. The waiting period is 3 months, but if you have all your paperwork in order, you can be completely finished on day 91.

Avvo answers are attorney opinions offered for informational purposes only, and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Use of the Avvo Q&A forum does not create any attorney-client relationship.

L. Maxwell Taylor

L. Maxwell Taylor


I really liked how you explained this.


If you truly have "reconcilable differences", the court is not going to sign the decree of dissolution of marriage.

The term used in WA is "irretrievably broken"; that is, there is no way to save the marriage.

There is no test-driving for a marriage in WA. The marriage is either validly contracted or not at the time the ceremony was performed. If you two had a valid marriage when it first started, you need to have the marriage dissolve to end the marriage.

You should review the specific facts with your attorney to find out your legal options.