Skip to main content

Can I Get A Social Security Number?

Houston, TX |

So im 16 and I came to the United States when I was 2. Me and my mother both had passports, but she decided to stay here and our passports expired. Im currently in high school, but I wanted to know if I can get a social security because I wanted to apply for some college information and they gave me free pre-college clasess, but I needed to sign up and they needed A SSN and is going to be hard to apply for college and financial aid.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you qualify for the new deferred action plan and receive a work permit you can obtain an ssn number.


I agree with my colleague.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


I do not handle immigration issues. I will defer to Mr. West's answer in this area.

To obtain a Social Security card you can apply at any Social Security Office. They will require if you are not a US citizen your current US immigrations documents ( forms I-551, I-94, or I-766, your foreign passport with biographical information and photograph. You can also call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer