Skip to main content

Can I get a restraining order against my ex/father of my two children who repeatingly sends me degrading/hateful texts messages

Chattanooga, TN |

He hasnt threatening my life but says everything remotely close to it. Degrading me, saying mean things about me to our two young daughters and saying I will regret or pay for what I have done. (which is simply keeping the girls from him as much as possible due to former drug, alcohol and physical and emotional abuse towards me)

I am concerned that I may not have grounds for a restraining order, but see no other course of action to stop his harassment. Please help, we shave court soon and I want to be prepared and ready to present the family court judge with sufficient support of my actions. Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


My first comment is that you should try to contact an attorney that deals in Family law issues because this sounds like a situation where a restraining order/personal protection order is attainable. If you cannot find an attorney to at least speak with, then just present the judge with the same evidence you have here. Text messages that are degrading would be relevant to parenting time and many judges will put the welfare of the children over any parental claim of the father with his past actions. There is never a guarantee for anything, but if the past issues are as clear cut as you present here, then you probably have a good case. Good luck.

The response given does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the attorney. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided in the question. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Michigan. Responses are based on basic legal principles unless stated otherwise.


Attorney Burns is correct. You should be able to get a restraining order. The only issue would be how it would affect open communication with the father for purposes of visitation under the parenting plan. I would need to see the final decree and parenting plan to be able to fully assess your situation. I am in Chattanooga and would be happy to meet with you to discuss your case fully. Feel free to call to set up an appointment for a free consultation. You can reach me at 822-8300.

The legal information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Your receipt of the information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, a contract for representation by Fetters Law Firm, PLLC. Ryan F. Fetters is licensed to practice law only in the States of Maine, Tennessee & West Virgina.


If you have an upcoming court hearing, you need to fully brief your attorney about these issues. I suggest you not go to any hearing without counsel. Try to secure an attorney before the hearing.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer