Skip to main content

Can I get a pubic defender to represent me in a family court ?

West Palm Beach, FL |

The father of my 3 kids and I have a court order and he is not fallowing I just field for a motion civil contempt/enforcement. I do not have the money to hired a privite lawyer..

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


No, a public defender is appointed to represent defendants in criminal matters. Reach out to your local legal aid and see if they can help you.

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. The information contained in this Website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this site, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state.


No. But you can contact your local legal aid to see if you qualify.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


No. But many attorneys will work with clients on payment plans, etc. so make sure to ask about them.

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando/Longwood/Central Florida)

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.


You don't explain how he is not following the court order, and that is important. If he is not paying child support as ordered, you can contact Florida's Department of Revenue Child Support Enforcement, adn they will have their attorneys or Attorney General attorneys pursue him at no cost to you. If it is a non-financial issue, then the Dept. of Revenue will not assist you as that is beyond their authority. Then , you will have to represent yourself (always your right), or hire a private attorney, or go to the local legal aid or pro bono legal services organization to get assistance. Your first step might be to go to the Clerk's office and ask them about pro bono legal services, and who you can contact for them if you can't find it online or in your phone book. If you hire a private lawyer, and the court finds your ex is in willful contempt of its order as you allege, then the court will probably order your ex to pay your attorneys fees as a sanction for his noncompliance also.