Skip to main content

Can I get a new J1 visa while I am in US?

Tucson, AZ |

I am on J1 visa for the last 5 years and my last visa was expired almost 3 years ago. (I have a valid DS2019 until 2014 July). During this time I also changed institutions. ( I am an alien physician - MD ) I would like to visit my home country only for one week and I do not want to have a problem with scheduling appointment with US consulate. If they want an extra document that means I will be very late to be back my program. So, Is there any way for me to get a J1 visa while I am in US so, I do not need to deal with any paperwork during my short vacation.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You cannot get a visa (J1 or any other) without leaving the country. If you travel home, you will have to apply for a new visa to return to the US.

Nothing in this post shall be construed as a legal advice. If you need advice regarding your particular situation, please contact my office directly. This information is transferred without an intent to creat an attorney-client relationship.



NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.



Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.