Skip to main content

Can I get a divorce from my abusive husband without him finding me?

New Port Richey, FL |

I left him over 5 years ago and moved out of state to Florida almost 3 years ago. I want a divorce but, I don't want him to find me. We have no under-aged children and my name is still on the mortgage of the house in Illinois that he still lives in, which I hear is in foreclosure. I want nothing except to be rid of him.....what can I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Consult a Florida divorce attorney. There are provisions in the law to protect your address from the filing if you are a victim of domestic abuse.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.


Yes you can ask the clerk to maintain your address as confidential since you have no minor kids together


Yes there is protections in place to list your address as confidential within the court file and pleadings. Hiring an attorney is also something that will help protect you.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-377-6828. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.