Skip to main content

Can i get a degree in criminal justice and pursue being a juvenille probation officer if i have a criminal record?

Portland, OR |

I am currently in college getting my major in criminal justice w a minor in psych, however i have criminal record with no person 2 person crimes. Is this possible? My goal is to use my background to my advantage in helping other troubled teens. I did find out i cannot supervise adults but was told I could supervise juvenilles.....please i waisting my time w this avenue of study? Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Contact the HR office of the probation department to see what background would be a disqualification.Sincerely,

Attorney Mitchell S. Sexner
Mitchell S. Sexner & Associates LLC /o
Defending your rights since 1990
1 (800) 996 -4824
Email: :
Website: Criminal and Traffic Attorneys

Answers presented on this website are intended only for informational purposes and any use of the contained material is at the users own risk. Answers are intended exclusively as a public resource for general information, and this information is intended, but is not promised or guaranteed to be, correct, up-to-date, or complete. This material is not intended to constitute legal advice, as an agreement to create an attorney-client relationship with the law offices of Mitchell S. Sexner & Associates LLC, or the provision of legal services, and receipt of this information does not constitute such an agreement. If legal or other specific expert advice is required, then the services of a competent professional should be sought.O


You can get a degree and education is never a waste. As for getting a job, that's a different story. You need to check the state licensing requirements for each particular career path you may want to take. When I went through the Police Academy during college over twenty years ago, one of my classmates asked me a similar question. He had 2 DUI's and wondered if he would get hired anywhere. Realizing how many qualified candidates apply for police positions, he had his answer. Typically, when a police or probation officer type job opens up, hundreds of applicants try to get hired for one job. The hiring agency will generally weed out the applicants who are not best fitted for the position leaving just the best candidates to be selected from. Do you think, with your background, you will get the job over someone with a clean record? If so, then pursue looking into the qualifications. If not, pursue another career path. Good luck!

The comments listed here do not create an attorney-client relationship. The comments are for informational purposes only and are not to be considered legal advice. This attorney is only licensed in Michigan and does not give legal advice in any other state. All comments are to be considered conversational information and you should not rely on these comments as legal advice or in place of retaining an attorney of our own. The comments here are based solely on what you have provided and therefore are general in nature and with more specific facts or details a different answer or outcome could result. The legal system is not a perfect science and this attorney does not guarantee any outcome.


I agree with the other comments posted so far but would also add that in certain positions having had a similar background as delinquent youth may actually be considered beneficial.

Also, your convictions may be expungeable from your record. You should talk to an attorney about whether you qualify, and what your expungement timelines look like.

This post is offered as general information and is not intended as legal advice. This information does not in of itself create any attorney-client relationship.


First thing you should do is find out whether your convictions qualify for expungement. Some States allow expungement, and other States do not. Among the various States, the eligibility requirements and the waiting periods can vary widely.

You did not say where you were convicted, but if you were convicted in the State of Oregon, we would be glad to evaluate your eligibility free of charge.

Feel free to give us a call at 503-827-8092, or visit our website at

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer