Skip to main content

Can I get a concealed weapons permit with a felony burglary Charge

Miami, FL |

I got adjudicated as a youthful offender for 2 burglarys and 1 grandtheft charge and I served 3years probation and paid off restitution and the case closed. I'm trying to get a job as armed security is there any way I can get a cwp

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


If you were adjudicated guilty you may not possess a firearm.


If you are a convicted felon, it is against federal law to be a felon in possession of a handgun. That is a felony also. I don't practice in FL, but in my state, KY, you would be prohibited from a carrying permit if you have been convicted of a felony. We have many avvo criminal defense lawyers on this site that practice in FL that will respond.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


If you were adjudicated guilty of a felony you may not possess one and you would face mandatory prison time if you were caught with a firearm.

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. We would be more than happy to set up a free consultation if you call us at 407-588-6714 and specifically mention AVVO or email me at and put AVVO in the subject line.


A disposition of your prior burglary case with adjudication of guilt will prevent you from being eligible for a concealed weapons permit.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute, legal advice nor does it constitute an attorney-client relationship, and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. Please consult an attorney of your choice for specific advice regarding your individual case. You can call attorney Edward Chandler for a consultation at (954) 788-1355. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship unless retained by written agreement.


An adjudication is a conviction. If you were adjudicated on burglary and grand theft charges then you are a convicted felon. It doesn't matter if you were sentenced as a YO.

It is both a federal and state offense for you to even possess a firearm.

All comments made by the attorney are mere statements of opinion and are not intended to be interpreted as legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship formed as a result of this comment.


You should consider applying to have your civil rights restored. Go to this website to read about how to do it:

You are considered a convicted felon by State and Federal law and must have your rights restored before you may possess a firearm.

As additional information for any reader of this answer, it is also a violation of the "Lautenberg Act" to possess a firearm if you have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

The answers given by this attorney are for educational and information purposes only and do not constitute legal advice, nor are they intended to create attorney/client relationship. You should seek legal counsel in your area to get legal advice concerning your particular circumstances.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer