Skip to main content

Can I get a civil unioned dissolved when my ex lives in VT and I live in PA?

Lewistown, PA |

I got civil unioned to another man in VT 3 years ago. Since we have split up and I moved back to PA. Is it even remotely possible to dissolve the civil union with both of us in different states? PA does not support civil unions or same sex marriages.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Yes, you should file n Vermont though. Good luck and I wish you well and fully support your rights to marriage. This is a simple answer and I hope you will take the time to click it as a HELPFUL answer.

Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California and may be reached at (831) 233-3558 and offers free consultations. The response provided in this forum is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information offered in this response is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon without further consultation with a legal professional after all relevant facts are disclosed and considered. DANIEL S. WILLIAMS, ESQ. LAW OFFICES OF DANIEL S. WILLIAMS 500 LIGHTHOUSE AVENUE, STE. A MONTEREY, CA 93940 (831) 233-3558 -- OFFICE (831) 233-3560 -- FAX


Since PA does not recognize civil unions at this point in time, there are no procedures to dissolve them. You will need to consult with an attorney in VT and use Vermont law to dissolve the union. You should also check on line to see if forms exist to use for this purpose. Always make sure that a form you use is created by the court or sanctioned by the court before using it.