Skip to main content

Can I get a CA driver license and work permit while in removal proceeding?

San Diego, CA |

I'm currently an undocumented college student about to graduate. I've been in US since 2001 as a child with overstayed visa and and is currently 21. I was put in removal proceeding and is currently in release of recognizance. I'm wondering before having court hearing, is it possible for me to get CA driver license and work permit? Also is my chance of being deported hight? Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


No, you can not.

You really should retain an experienced immigration attorney to review your case in order to determine what relief, if any, is available to you. This is a fact driven process and cannot be done through Avvo.

The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


You can get a work permit while in removal proceedings but I agree that you should retain an attorney to assist you. Trying to defend yourself in removal proceedings is difficult especially in light of the little facts that you provided. You will likely have a very tough case but depending on how you ended up in removal proceedings and many other facts, there may be something that can be done. Contact an attorney soon, for a consultation at least.

This answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on as each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.


You cannot be issued a work permit solely because you are in removal proceedings. You may be eligible for a work permit based upon the type of relief from deportation you apply for during your removal proceedings. Consult with an immigration attorney who can advise you as to the options available and recommend a course of action.

While written by an attorney who is a Florida Bar Certified Specialist in Immigration and Nationality Law, the statements herein should not be construed as legal advice. No attorney/client relationship has been created without a formal consultation with the attorney and the attorney has agreed to accept your case.


I agree with Jeff Devore below. There are many different reasons why you woudl be put in removal proceedings and many different types of relief some of which may permit a work card and some would not. Experienced advice is important and giving your attorney all the facts is critical.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108
phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer