Skip to main content

Can I get a public lawyer for my husband

Chicago, IL |

We just got married, and we need an attorney to help him in filling is application for is change of status.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You mean public defender? NO. This is an immigration question.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.


Divorce law is inapplicable to your issues.

The author provides the preceding information as a service to the public. Author's response, as stated above, should not be considered legal advice. An initial attorney-client conference, based upon review of all relevant facts/documents, will be necessary to provide legal advice upon which the client should then rely.


If by public lawyer, you mean a public defender, the answer is no. PDs are not available for immigration cases.


No. There are no such things as public immigration lawyers. You must either pay for a private attorney or if you qualify, you may be able to find a nonprofit organization. Good luck!

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
SwagatUSA, LLC

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.