Skip to main content

Can I force my former employer to delete my email address on their domain?

Burlingame, CA |

Was recently fired from my work. I had been using the business' email address for years, often for personal communications - as did many others on the staff. That address ' password has been changed by the manager -- not deleted. That manager is now handling the domain's email. Though I've sent out notice to contacts, my personal communications are bound to come through. (The real reason this guy fired me, btw, is that I am not gay, and he clearly had an interest in me, but that's another question) Do I have a right to have that address deleted, so all messages to it are bounced? Even aside from privacy, people will think I'm ignoring them. Thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


No. It's your employer's email system. This is another reason why you should not use your employer's address for personal communications.


You do not have an ownership interest in the email address. You would waste you money, because courts cannot give you the relief you seek. Spend your resources updating your friends. 510-208-5500. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is not legal advice, because it is only of a general nature. Please contact a lawyer qualified in your jurisdiction to discuss your situation in confidence, using your factual details. Avvo answers are only general legal responses. Item 9 of's Terms and Conditions are incorporated in this disclaimer as though it were printed here.


No, you cannot force your employer to delete your business email address.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer