Skip to main content

Can I find out if someone has power of attorney?

Tacoma, WA |

I believe that a woman (my old landlord) has made herself power of attorney over my husband. She's been obsessed with my husband for sometime. He made me aware several months ago that he believed she had forged his signature with her attorney friend to make herself power of attorney. Suddenly she's no where to be found. My little sister has tried to contact her but she avoids the calls. Me and my husband are still legally married so anything she does with his name will affect me. I dont even no where to begin. If your wondering why my husband isnt helping track her down it's because he's incarcarated. Im unsure if I should call the attorney and confront him myself to see if theres some type of fraud going on that he cover'd for the lady who's obsessed.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You can try calling the attorney, but you should find out for sure if your husband signed anything first. You may want to have him sign something that says he did not give her a POA and that she is not authorized to act on his behalf.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive legal consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


You can first check with the Pierce County Auditor, public records and see if there is a recorded Power of Attorney. It is unlikely that an attorney would notarize or allow someone else to notarize a Power of Attorney. You can also have your husband sign a revocation of power of attorney that would revoke all powers of attorney he may have given. The revocation should be recorded with the Pierce County Auditor. I do not think that calling the attorney is a good idea. You should consider contacting the Tacoma-Pierce County bar association so that you can discuss your situation with an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer