Skip to main content

Can I find hidden assets?

Bayonne, NJ |

I suspect that my husband has hidden assets, as he seems to be spending money that I'm quite sure he doesn't have. Is there anything in particular that I should look for?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Google search for "forensic accountant" in you area.



If your husband has his own business then a forensic accountant, as stated by Mr. Perez, would be helpful in order to determine where his income from the business is going. That however is an expensive venture. If he is a W-2 wage earner then records of his employer may be helpful to see if he is receiving cash under the table. These are always difficult cases to prove if a party is not forthcoming with income. Keep a look out for credit card bills, bank statments and other mailings to the home if he still lives with you.

IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: The response to the question posted is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. The response is intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and is provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Responses are based solely upon New Jersey law.


I agree with both Mr. Perez and Mr. D'Alessandro. A forensic accountant, often times a CPA, can assist you in investigating in the financial whereabouts of marital assets that may have been withheld and not fully disclosed by your former spouse during your divorce proceedings. As Mr. D'Alessandro has stated hiring a forensic accountant can be costly should you choose to pursue that route.


A common issue in divorces.

It's also too technical and fact sensitive to really tackle here. Your attorney (or you if acting pro se) can issue subpoenas for bank records and credit card statements; that's usually a better start than jumping to the expense of a forensic accountant, which can be substantial (often requiring initial retainers of $5,000-$7,500 to get started). If the preliminary discovery that's conducted leads to more questions than it answers, THEN I'd look into a forensic accountant.

IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER AND APPRECIATE THE TIME IT TOOK TO WRITE IT, PLEASE SELECT IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Thanks. The above is said without seeing your case file and without my understanding the entirety of the facts of your case. Depending on those facts, the above information be may incomplete or may be completely inaccurate. The above is intended as general information only based on what you described and not as legal advice. I advise you to consult with counsel who may be able to provide better information commensurate with a better understanding of your situation.


Your question does not make clear whether you are in the process of divorce. If you are, there are various discovery avenues your attorney can pursue to obtain that information.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer