Skip to main content

Can I find a pro bono lawyer that handles Unemployment Appeals cases???

Montclair, NJ |

I never received decision letter regarding my claim

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I wouldn't count on being able to. It's hard to find lawyers who can afford to handle cases for free - we all have bills too, and when we do volunteer work, such as answering Avvo questions, we like to be able to choose the recipients.

Have you tried your local Legal Aid office? They're salaried and get paid for their work, but they're free to clients.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.


I concur with what Ms. Koslyn wrote. I add that it is not unusual to have to remind a trial or appellate to issue an opinion. This is probably doubly so with an Administrative Court. So pick up the phone and call. I also note that Gov. Christie has fired about 10% of state workers and I suspect the number is higher than that for social programs, which we all know he'd like to obliterate. This is probably what you will be told (without the political commentary) when you call.

The Legal Services main number (for all NJ) is 888-NJLS-LAW (576-5529). Call but, without being sarcastic, if you live in Montclair and have money for a computer connection, you are probably way beyond the extremely low income levels set for free (indigent) representation. Still, indigence is based on income, not wealth, and unfortunately it sounds like you lost your job so you could possibly qualify.

The above is not legal advice -- it's a commentary on the sad state of social programs in NJ. I'd need to know a lot more about your case to give legal advice. I am not seeking to enter into an attorney-client relationship as I do not handle unemployment cases or appeals. Good luck with your situation.


I know of an employment litigation firm located nearby which I believe handles Unemployment appeals. You might explain your circumestances and see if they will accept a reduced or contingency fee for handling your appeal. The firm is:

Hyderally & Associates, P.C.
33 Plymouth Street, Suite 202, Montclair,
New Jersey 07042
Phone: (973) 509-8500
Fax: (973) 509-8501

Good luck,


Law Offices of Richard E. Yaskin
1040 Kings Highway, Suite 302
Cherry Hill, NJ 08034
856-667-7573 - fax

Read our blog “Leveling The Playing Field”

Information posted or made available on or through the Site, including without limitation any responses to legal questions posted in Avvo Q&A, information provided in Avvo Legal Guides, and any other comments, opinions, recommendations, answers, analysis, references, referrals or legally related content or information (collectively "Legal Information") is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney. Such Legal Information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon such Legal Information. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege.