Skip to main content

Can I file my own summary of administration form ? after my mother passed I kept paying the house insurance.

Deerfield Beach, FL |

I then learned we were not covered after her death and the insurance company sent me a cancellation notice and a check for $2200.00 made out to the estate of (my mother) which I cannot get cashed. I was told by my bank I would have to file a summary of administration form with the county. I asked a lawyer how much to do this for me and he said $2000.00 leaving me $200.00 Can I file this form myself??
Any help would be greatly appreciated..

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Unfortunately, Florida law says that a lawyer must file the paperwork related to probate. $2,000 is a fairly standard price, but there are other competent attorneys who may be willing to do it on an hourly rate, especially if the only thing that needs to be dealt with is the house. If there are any creditors or any other property that needs to be dealt with, that may affect the price. A summary administration is for estates with a value of $75,000 or less - this amount does not include the value of the homestead which is a non-probate asset. However, even though it is a non-probate asset, it still has to go through a court procedure to have it officially transferred to the decedent's heirs, or according the Will. You can contact the Florida Bar for a referral, or do a little more of your own research to find someone that knows what they are doing but may also be willing to fit your budget. Most of this kind of work can be done by mail, so an attorney anywhere in the county where your mother's house is can be used.

Legal Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on since each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. A lawyer experienced in the subject area and licensed to practice in the jurisdiction should be consulted for legal advice.
Circular 230 Disclaimer: Any information in this answer may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.


The prior attorney offers sound advice. A long shot would be to call the insurance company to ask them if you could return the check and have it reissued to you as the sole beneficiary. Explain to them that their check is the sole asset of the estate and that they are forcing you to go through a time consuming and expensive procedure. Offer them a death certificate and a copy of the will. This may not work but they may have a form you can sign that gets them off the hook in these cases. This may be a complete dead end but it may be worth a try.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thanks.
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties in the state of Pennsylvania. He phone number is 215-735-2336 and his email address is listed below.
Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.


Call me as there may be a quicker and less expensive way if all you are speaking about is the insurance check. How is the home titled?


Mr. Fromm's suggestion is an excellent one. You might emphasize that it was you, not the estate, that paid the unearned premium, and therefore that premium should be returned to you. However, you should also consider whether you will need a probate proceeding anyway, such as to get title to the property.

I don't have all of the facts and this does not constitute legal advice. If you want to discuss the matter further, please contact my office directly. (We are in Broward County).


This won't help with the ownership of the home, but if all you need is to deposit the check, "Disposition of Personal Property without Administration" may work.

If the decedent’s estate consists only of (i) personal property exempt from the claims of creditors under Section 732.402, Florida Statutes; (ii) personal property valued at up to $1,000.00 exempt from the claims of creditors under Art. X, § 4(a)(2) of the Constitution of Florida; and (iii) nonexempt personal property the value of which does not exceed the sum of the amount of preferred funeral expenses ($6,000.00), and reasonable and necessary medical and hospital expenses of the last 60 days of the decedent’s last illness, it may be that no administration is necessary.

Florida Statutes § 735.301 and Florida Probate Rule 5.420 provide that, on request, the Clerk of Court will assist in the preparation of the required documents to complete the payment, transfer, or disposition of such personal property.

Form is found on the attached link

Also, some lawyers will just deposit the check in their trust account and then distribute the funds; that solves the problem.

Russell R. Winer
Attorney at Law
Cornerstone Bank Building
1840 4th Street North, Suite 201
St Petersburg FL 33704-4303