Skip to main content

Can I file I-912 for N-400? If my income last year was less than 30,000 we are a family of 4 and I'm receiving unemployment?

Escondido, CA |

We are a family of four I'm the only working my wife can't provide an income because we can't afford to pay child care and she's breastfeeding. So can I apply for I-912 and if yes do I have to write the financial hardship since we are below 150% poverty? Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Look at the I-912P for guidance. It appears you may qualify. Frequently, fee waivers are improperly rejected because they are scanned in, then the scanned images are reviewed by an officer, and if a page was not scanned properly or fed through with a prior page, then you could end up with an improper rejection. Just follow the instructions on for Form I-912 about what sections are required and you should be fine.

Also consider attending a Citizenship Day in your area (FREE help with preparing the application and you can talk to an attorney! ALL FREE). Most sites will hold the event on April 26, 2014 (Saturday), but contact the coordinator in your area to be sure and be prepared if you'd like to get assistance this way.

AVVO wouldn't let me provide the link, so here is the website for the list of Citizenship Day 2014 Coordinators:|15767|18676|24543|25027



No coordinator for California? Also in in unemployment does that affect me in I want to naturalize ?

Kara Lien Roberts

Kara Lien Roberts


There is one for Southern California and San Diego - try contacting one of them for info. Unemployment probably will not have an effect on your ability to naturalize, but you want to try and get to one of these events if you can to have someone review your case.


You can always try. The only one who can answer that question is the CIS officer that will adjudicate your request.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


You will not get penalized for trying. In the end, whatever you submit, it is the USCIS officer who will decide whether to approve your request for the waiver of the filing fees or not. Most of the time USCIS disapproves those requests, but you never know..

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


You can request a fee waiver for form N-400. It is impossible for us to say whether you will be approved or not. You can always try.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer