Skip to main content

Can I file for unemployment if I was suspended without pay?

Charleston, WV |

I was recently suspended without pay until my trial is over. Trial does not involve my employer at all, and I do feel like I'm being discriminated against by being suspended without any type of income. I am a full time employee there under contract, and last year a grand jury indicted me because of a false accusation another person made against me. I begged for a trial so I could prove my innocence and get an acquittal, however for some reason my employer found out about this indictment from a year ago and suspended me. Do I, in any way, qualify for unemployment compensation?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I don't practice in your state. However, you can certainly try to get unemployment compensation. Generally, an incident not connected with your work should not forfeit your right to unemployment compensation. Check with a legal aid lawyer in your state about this.

This response is meant to be information only and should not be considered to be legal advice. This information is not meant and should not be construed to be the formation of an attorney client relationship. I practice Virginia Workers compensation law and Social Security Disability law.