Skip to main content

Can I file for chapter 7 if I have a debt consolidation already?

Colonia, NJ |

I am looking into filing for chapter 7. I am willing to give up my house..I owe more on the house than it is worth. I have too much debt and can not keep up with it. I obtained a debt consolidation a year ago, but I still can not keep up with the payments

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Debt consolidation is no substitute for bankruptcy relief, and does not preclude a bankruptcy discharge, but navigating bankruptcy procedure without effective legal assistance is unwise. For the precise advice you need, consult with an experienced bankruptcy attorney who will do a complete case review and make a recommendation. If you do not know such a lawyer, use the attorney-finder at

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.


If debt consolidation/debt management hasn't worked for you, you should look into whether Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy would be a better option for you. Since the devil is in the details, you will want to discuss the particulars of your financial problems with a local bankruptcy attorney. Hope this perspective helps!


I agree with my colleagues. Speak to an attorney who is experienced in both bankruptcy and mortgage foreclosure defense, before you make any decisions that you might regret.

Leonard R. Boyer, Esq. 201-.675-.5577. If you found this Answer helpful, please mark it as "Best Answer" Please be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.