Skip to main content

Can I file for 2 car accidents 1 where I was convicted of DUI, was uninsured both times. And a judgment to the city for towing.

Chicago, IL |

They claim I had marijuana in the car so I was charged $1,000 plus storage and towing fees. One car accident I was convicted of dui. The other car accident did not involve dui but I was uninsured

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


I am sorry but this question is unclear to me. You were "convicted of DUI" and you want to "file" or make a claim for two car accidents. You want to make a claim to whom?

If you feel this is the "best" answer or is "helpful," please indicate. Since I am limited to the information you provide, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the answer. You should seek the advise of an attorney who can explore all aspects of your question. This communication does not form an attorney client relationship.


I can't think of anything to file in the DUI situation since you indicate no insurance. If the other accident involved another at fault vehicle driver (or something else that caused the accident) and you suffered property damage/personal injury, there may be something to pursue. But your question about "filing" (especially regarding the DUI) is a bit confusing.

The contents of this post do not establish an attorney-client relationship. Any comments made in this post are general in nature and may not apply to the specific facts and law of your case.


Your question is unclear and more facts are needed to give you useful advice. If by "filing" you refer to bankruptcy, your accidents may fall into the non-dischargeable category under 11 USC §523. the judgment owed to the city for towing might be dischargable unless it is deemed a debt owing to the government.


Please post more facts, and what claim you think you have


Your question is confusing. What do you mean by asking can you file? File what?


Legislators can pass all the 'no-fault' law they want, our legal system is still based entirely on negligence law and fault if you want to bring a claim for damages. If you were at fault, the're no valid claim. As others have said, the question is not entirely clear and you might either (a) repost or (b) consult with an experienced attorney in your jurisdiction. Finally, if you are asking about bankruptcy, the DWI/DUI scenario pushes claims into the non dischargeable category. Here's more: BLUE LINK BELOW

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.


Would think its all about fault. Simply, if you are 50% or more at fault, you get no recovery. Thus, file what against whom?

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.


If the other car was at fault, the DUI and insurance issues are IRRELEVANT. You can sue as many people as cause you injury. It is as simple as that.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links:

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer