Skip to main content

Can I File a supeana to find informatiob about a beneficiary?

Sebring, FL |

My brother died one year ago and his retirement has not been claimed. I wanted to know who the beneficiary was so I can tell them to get their money. I have probate papers to show that I am in charge of his "estate".

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If you have letters testamentary or an order from the probate court appointing you as executor of the estate, copies of such documents should be sufficient to entitle you to access to the retirement account information. You would be wise to hire a local attorney and have him/her send a demand to the administrator of the retirement plan with copies of your fiduciary appointment.

Good luck.

Your question has been answered as a courtesy. This is not paid legal advice. Nothing in this communication is intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Unless expressly stated otherwise, nothing contained in this message should be construed as a digital or electronic signature, nor is it intended to reflect an intention to make an agreement by electronic means.


I agree. You should be able as personal representative to have access to this information even if the beneficiary already received the proceeds.

This does not constitute legal advice and is purely informational and we do not have an attorney-client relationship until a fee agreement is signed. The details of your case can vary slightly and the legal analysis can be then totally different. Do not rely on legal aswers to address your particular situation but seek a direct contact wih an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer