Skip to main content

Can I file a police report 7 days after the fact?

Bronx, NY |

I was hit by a car while riding my bike last week, the car drove away but the cops were called. When my riding partner described the situation they informed him that there was nothing they could do, asked him if i needed an ambulence (i refused because i didn't have insurance) and then drove away. They never got out of the car. The next day i had to go to the hospital because i could not walk, and when informing the staff i was hit by a car on my bike they wrote "bike accident". Now i have no money to pay my medical bills and i haven't been able to go to work. Shouldn't this be covered under no-fault?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It is only covered under no-fault if you have an auto policy or you know who the hit you and can make a claim on his/her policy. If neither apply you can file a claim with MVIAC, a quadi state agency that provides benefits to victims of hit and run. They require you notify the police within 24 hours so hopefully you got the name of the police officer who responded or can at least show a phone record of the call.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Eric laid it out well


New York law states that no-fault benefits do not apply to motorcycles. That is your insurance company will not pay for your medical bills, loss wages, etc. However, you may recoup these costs against the offending vehicle.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer