Skip to main content

Can I file a motion to waive 14 years of back child support that accumalated while incarcerated

Johnstown, PA |

Was sentenced to 20 years in federal prison, simatnously divorced and was ordered to pay child support for 2 children. Upon my release from prison 14 years later, I'm being ordered to pay current child support and arrears from the 14 years i was incarcerted. Current child support I understand and in accord. I dont agree with 14 years of back child support. Can I have 14 years of arrears waived due to being incarcereted??? ($20k plus)

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Rather than seeking waiver, you might have better luck seeking modification of the amount owed due to the decrease in income while in prison.

Stew Crawford, Jr., Esq.

Crawford Law Firm
A Full Service Law Firm Serving Individuals and Families in Pennsylvania & New Jersey

223 North Monroe St.
Media, PA 19063


Support arrears will accrue while a parent is incarcerated. Once released, the arrears are due and owing. However, the amount of the payments may be modifiable based upon your current earnings/earning potential.

My response is based solely on the limited information contained in the question. It is not meant to substitute your attorney's advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer