Skip to main content

Can I File A Lawsuit If The City If Refuses To Grant Me Welfare Even Though I Am Poor And My Property Taxes Are Paid?

Jacksonville, FL |

The city welfare office will only give grants to people with earned income. I am poor and have no income but a relative who does not live with me pays my property taxes. The city is in effect giving grants to people who have more money than I do. Can I file a lawsuit of some type since my property taxes are being paid?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

No - a poor person is not a protected class of individuals under the US Constitution or any state constitutions (as far as I know). Discrimination on this grounds need only pass a very low standard - and one that the state could easily pass.

Matthew Johnson phone# 206.747.0313 is licensed in the State of Washington and performs bankruptcy, short sale negotiations, and estate planning in Whatcom, Skagit, Snohomish, King and Pierce counties. The response does not constitute specific legal advice, which would require a full inquiry by the attorney into the complete background of the facts and circumstances surrounding this matter; rather, it is intended to be general legal information based on the limited information provided by the inquirer; it This response also does not constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established after a conflict of interest evaluation is completed, your case is accepted, and a fee agreement is signed. Johnson Legal Group, PLLC


I try to will post under state law so you get more responses as this is not really a Social Security question.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.


While this may not be a question for the social security disability forum - perhaps the underlying reason for your lack of income is? Are you not working because you are disabled? If so, you may want to discuss your case with a social security disability attorney.

Andrew W. Norfleet, Esquire Helping disabled individuals throughout Pennsylvania. DISCLAIMER: This post is intended as general information applicable only to the state of Pennsylvania and is personal in nature, not professional in nature. The information given is based strictly upon the facts provided. This post is not intended to create an attorney client relationship, or to provide any specific guarantee of confidentiality

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer