Skip to main content

Can I file a lawsuit against the makers of the drug Klonopin for involuntary addiction?

Savannah, GA |

I was prescribed Klonopin about 3 years ago for panic attacks.I was never informed of the physical and psychological dependency these drugs can have.Under the care of my GP I have been trying to wean off this drug to no avail for over a year.If I don't take it I become totally dysfunctional,sick to the point of being bedridden.I've lost any emotion,I'm depressed,I sleep all the time,sex drive -GONE,I get agitated very easily.I'm sick of being on this drug yet I cannot get off of it! My ob/gyn prescribed it on the advice of a psychologist and when I asked him to wean me off his answer was "No,you'll kill somebody"

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Your claim would be against the doctor. Contact a med mal lawyer in your city for a free consultation.

Click on the name or picture of the lawyer answering your question to see their profile, and then you can click the view website tab to find out detailed information on your personal injury topic. The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.


The fact that you became addicted to a prescription medication is not a basis to sue the manufacturer of the medication. Since you stated that you were “never informed of the physical and psychological dependency these drugs can have”, this clearly puts fault on the person prescribing you the medication and potentially informed consent issues.

You need the contact a personal injury attorney that has experience with med mal cases. Usually initial consultations are free.


I believe a survey of the medications/treatmets is in order. You should expect to advance the fees of an expert well before you seek a lawsuit. Whoever you hire will explain the details, but be prepared for sticker-shock and top of the present problems.

I am an attorney, practicing throughout the state of Georgia, but primarily in the areas around Augusta, Statesboro and Savannah, Georgia. You may review more information about my practice by going to: The information I am providing you should only be considered for your general knowledge and educational purposes. Consider it as a good first step in your knowledge acquisition, but not as legal advice. Indeed, any information I provide is based on the extremely limited facts you have provided and new facts could substantially alter any answer or reply. My opinion should be understood to apply only to the laws of the State of Georgia. You should always consult with a local attorney about your situation if you live outside of the State of Georgia.


Your claim can be against the drug manufacturer if the physician that prescribed will testify that he was given insufficient warnings and therefore not prescribed the drug for you. A very difficult case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer