Skip to main content

Can I file a lawsuit against my school for dispursing me too much financial aid? they want me to pay it back for their mistake

Seattle, WA |

My financeil aid was supposed to be dispursed in two parts. I recieved the first dispursement in November 08. I was supposed to receive the second part in December but I did not get it. I received a letter stating that part of my dispursement was sent back to the lender. to make a long story short, the school gave me the excess of my loan after my classes were paid for and now they say they gave me too much. they said they gave me financial aid for 24 credits and I only needed 18. I think they should have checked before they dispursed me my money.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You would have no reason to sue them; whether or not you actually have to pay to fix their mistake would be a matter of the contract between you and your state's law. Regardless, they'd likely just adjust your financial aid in the future and you still have to pay back the loan anyway.

Disclaimer: This answer is provided as a public service and as a general response to a general question, it is not meant, and should not be relied upon as specific legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship.


I do not see this as a matter for the courts. Along with the immunities from suit the school likely enjoys, the observations of Mr. Swanson are accurate.

Good luck to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney with whom you have established an attorney client relationship and all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.