Skip to main content

Can I file a defamation of character suit against my accuser?

Dover, DE |

I have been falsely accused of trespassing and destruction of property. My problem is, these accusations are coming from a known drug/alcohol addict so I don't know if I should ignore them. But, she has told these lies to a counselor and I am worried that someone might believe her and I am going into nursing school and don't want any of this nonsense to affect me. Should I take her to court to stop her from telling these lies? She has no proof to back any of this up. She has been in/out of psych hospitals and rehabs. so I don't know if I should even pursue this but I can't let her slander me in this way either.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


A defamation lawsuit is a long and expensive process with a highly uncertain outcome. Try first for a civil restraining order. That may solve your problem, and it will create an official record that you dispute her statements. It is cheap and fast, relatively speaking.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.


I generally agree with Ms. McCall, especially respecting the idea of a defamation case. However, I suggest that you at least see an attorney with any of the actual statements this person has made to help you evaluate the potentil success of a restraiing order as restraining speech is very difficult.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer