Skip to main content

Can i file a claim against the insurance company because they only agree to pay 65% of the claim when they were at fault 100%

Bayside, NY |

My family and I were traveling south on a main road through a green light, the other passenger vehicle was traveling North and made a left to travel westbound and crossed in front of our vehicle where we ended up striking the vehicle on the passengers side damaging both vehicles. We have a police report, and there was one eyewitness to the other vehicle. The other parties insurance company said they will only pay 65% of the claim and our insurance has to cover the rest because of the eyewitness statement, disregarding the law and knowing we had the right of way.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6

Best Answer

Yes, you can bring an action against the owner/operator of the other vehicle for property damage. If this is a small claims matter, so much the better. If not and you have to file in Civil, Queens you will have to weigh the cost of bringing the action with the amount at issue. It may not be worth the time and expense involved. The better option may be to have your carrier pay for the damage and let them bring an action against the other carrier. If you truly are fault free, let your insurance company worry about proving it.

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response may change appropriately.


Yes, you can pursue the claim. It sounds as though the insurance carrier may be trying to say you have enough time to avoid the collision even though their driver failed to yield the right of way when making a left turn. This is a fact issue and is determined after comparing your actions at the time the other driver made the left turn with that of a reasonable, prudent person. If you had time to slow down or you were speeding, these facts will not favor you and you may have some percentage of fault attributed to you.

If the car is totaled and worth a significant amount of money, you may want to discuss the circumstances with an attorney. Losing out on 35% of $30,000-$40,000 (for example) is something I would find unacceptable especially if I took every reasonable action and did nothing to contribute to causing the wreck. If you or your passengers were injured, you definitely need to speak with attorney about the insurance company's failure to accept complete, 100% liability.

If your car's damage is low or the car (if totaled) is not worth much, that is when the idea of pursuing a small claims court action would come into play.

This communication is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship between the inquirer and respondent. Instead, it is general information for the inquiry on


Yes! I suggest that you also hire a lawyer to do that. You will have a better chance of success. Was any one hurt?


The answer to your specific question is "No you may not sue the insurance company." You may, however, sue the driver of the car, who will be represented by the insurance company, and if everything goes your way, you may get 100% of the liability. Generally, there is some fault attributed to the car that is going straight ahead if there is a traffic signal (was there one?) If its small claims, you have nothing to lose. If its not, you'll have attorneys fees.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -


You would need to sue the responsible party, not the insurance company.


Your claim most likely would need to be filed against the adverse driver in the form of a suit alleging their negligent driving resulting in your damages.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer